News:

Check out Wonder Weenies every Tuesday and Thursday.

Main Menu

Misadventures In Stereo (Jim Boggia)

Started by Rob, November 09, 2009, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Jim Boggia is probably one of the greatest musicians most people have never heard of. For some examples of why I say that please, check out what he has to offer on YouTube.

He actually has his own channel with some unique stuff as well.

I'm telling you about the free stuff because I want you to see for yourself before I try and convince you to go out and buy his music. Because once you hear how good he is you won't be able to unhear it and you, like me, will crave his sound.

I was privileged to meet Jim when he opened up for Duncan Sheik and David Poe a few years ago. Just a regular, ordinary, plain old nice guy. That may be his problem with the music industry. Nice guys, in the world of business at least, most assuredly finish last and Jim is very nice. I don't mean to suggest that he should suddenly become a pretentious cock so his career options improve. I am suggesting that, in an industry where the most successful tend to be the most; malleable personalities, Jim might just be a bit too smart and good for their tastes.

In his latest offering "Misadventures In Stereo" Jim brings more of the great music he's been making for years. A shameless devotee of The Beatles his use of guitar and harmonies to convey more than the sum of its parts is an awesome thing to behold.

Jim has said that all the songs on "Misadventures In Stereo" deal with loss in one way or another, so even the more up tempo tunes tend to have an introspective, cerebral bend to their lyrics. The final song on the album, "Three Weeks Shy," about a young man whose brother is killed in Iraq, "Three Weeks Shy" of coming home for good is so sad and soulful I get misty every time I hear it.

The music is great. I highly recommend everything Jim has done. If you are checking out his YouTube channel I linked above you should definitely look at the version Jim and some friends did of the Beatles "Don't Let Me Down" around ten years ago on a rooftop in Philly; an amazing homage that in my opinion surpasses the original in some ways.

You can listen to clips of "Misadventures In Stereo" at Amazon.